Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rainbow reminders through the storms of life.......






Life is like a rainbow and so is the human spirit!  Both filled with different colors.  Brilliant, calming, unusual and of course dark.  Friends can be like a rainbow too. Coming to your rescue after a storm and helping you to see the world is truly beautiful.  Like, when you spot a rainbow in the sky, I always stop, and look, and reflect in awe at one of nature’s miracles.


My weekend was like a squally storm...then out of the darkness, rainbows appeared!  Splinters of beauty and hope and faith filled my Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

I had another unexpected phone call from my Dad which caught me off guard…..it seems the grey cloud has moved back over our family…but more of that later.   I wanted to share and give you hope if you need it, that family and friends can be your rainbow....to help you weather any storm.



Mary's fragrant bouquet


After a blubbering sooky phone call with my friend Mary on Friday, she arrived with this home grown bunch of colorful roses….a symbol of love and of the fragility of life.  My kitchen smells like a spring garden in bloom….I was so thankful! :)


And my friend Steph took it upon herself to ring me on Sunday and wish me a Happy Mother’s Day from her holiday in Vegas….I think that took a lot of courage, to ring a mom who you know may make your day dark.  My cousin Heash called from Oz and I got some beautiful facebook messages and texts to let me know I wasn’t alone.   We skyped with my sister's twins, and they set a fine example, happy and oblivious to any sadness….. And my neighbor Renee knocked on my door with some lavender hand cream and a hug.  Yes, my weekend was filled with many shades....most of them vibrant!



Dempsey's gorgeous Mother's Day words of wisdom.....


My little rainbow Dempsey climbed into bed with me on Sunday…”Happy Mother’s Day Mummy!” she said and proudly placed this picture in my hands. My perceptive eight year old daughter ‘gets it.’ She’s written “Thank you mom for making me SUPER happy to be alive.”  My heart surged….



Dempsey's sun she made at school...it will remind me to smile...

And to add to the picture was a present….”It’s a smiley sun Mummy, for you!”

Dempsey didn’t paint it a brilliant yellow or a burnt orange, she’d colored it brown…and it made me smile and consider how sometimes the sun can be brown, or grey or blue, but it’s always shining and reminding us there is always light, no matter how bad things seem.

And that brings me to the phone call from my Dad. I wasn’t prepared for his alarming news…..that my big brother Mark had suffered three heart attacks and was in the hospital.  That he has to have a quintuple bypass graft... “But he’s only forty-seven!” I cried.

My tears were instant as the shock set in and I listened to my Dad cry down the phone line.

I couldn’t survive through another loss….. but as the weekend moved forward, all my friends and family seemed to take my hand and drag me along....they helped me, and I know that no matter whatever the storm ahead brings, there’ll be rainbows in the love I am blessed with that will outshine any dark day.

My brother Mark, with his girlfriend Fiona and me at Christmas in Australia

My brother Mark has always been so protective of me. He’s a diamond in the rough!  I adore him.

When I got to hear his voice on Friday, it was comforting and reassuring that he’s going to be okay. “I love you Moppy and I’m going to be fine!” he told me.

On Thursday he’ll have his chest cracked open and his heart stopped by a machine, while some amazing doctor’s in Australia meticulously mend five of his damaged coronary arteries. So if you’re the praying kind, please say a prayer for him.

I know he’ll have several angels watching over him, his girlfriend Fiona to help him through any tough moments….and I know from experience, rainbows in the many people who love him…..including me.

And I know the grey cloud that hangs over our family will shift, hopefully some time soon.....

However I know until it does, there’ll be many rainbows in my friends and family that will help color my world with love.  They will continue to shelter me under an umbrella of support....which is fuel for me to be the biggest rainbow in the upcoming days for my brother Mark as he recovers.


  


.

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and how important for us to keep looking for those rainbows and to understand how the sun can sometimes be brown! :)

    I loved what Dempsey wrote, and hearing about the many things your friends and relatives did to make Mother's Day a good one!

    I will be thinking of you and your family on Thursday. Hugs, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of prayers for Mark, you and your dad for thursday. He will be fine, he is in the hands of gods (Doctors) they know what they are doing.
    Love KT
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Louise, thanks for your wise comment...I know you understand aoubt looking for rainbows amongst the storms!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis....life deals up some unfair deals sometimes. But I know you like me are always positive in finding inspiration.

    Sending love to you
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks KT for your love and support...I really appreciate your thoughts and for leaving the lovely comment.

    sending a hug
    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana, dear ~ I am holding you and your precious brother Mark in gentle thought and prayer . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marty, I feel very blessed to have met you and for your continuing support.

    Thank you for thinking of my brother Mark and me today....it means a lot.
    love
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you love! Tons of it. For your brother too.
    xoxox Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Suzi....your message is heart felt!

    with love
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, just love the quote! Rainbows come before the storm and like all things 'this too shall pass' as my Mother alwsays said.
    Much love and many prayers coming your way as it is now 11.30pm Thursday in Oz.I am expecting that Mark will have successfully undergone his surgery. I have sent you a rainbow. Please know that it is a rainbow of love that attaches us, providing strength and security in our hour of need. Sharing each and every experience in the belief there are better days ahead dear friend. Mark appears to be too young, and handsome, to have this happening.
    Dempsey is adorable!
    Much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chez,

    My mum said the same thing! :)

    Thank you as always for your beautiful message. Mark is in the ICU and doing well. They only had to graft 4 instead of 5 arteries so I am so relieve! I'll have to tell him about your handsome comment...he'll like that!

    Much love back to you...you are never far from my thoughts each day as I know you are battling your own medical 'stuff.' I can only pray that its all good news and smooth sailing for you ahead my friend.

    love
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Suzi...your comment is heart felt.
    love
    diana x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Diana,

    I know exactly what you mean about family. With my sister's passing last week, my family has really come together. Thank goodness for them as it has carried me and made me feel all will be okay.

    Sorry to hear about your brother. I will keep him in my prayers for his upcoming surgery.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Candice...I've been thinking about you and I'm pleased to hear you are surrounded by support and family at this sad time.

    with love
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your writings, articles, blogs I mean over all contents is must read matter.
    storms

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. https://pressurewasherguides.com/ar-blue-clean-pressure-washer/

    ReplyDelete